Getting screwed: The Live Blog

1. Anonymous Little Willie says:

I think it’s time for a letter to the “flushable” baby wipe company with the $400 bill attached.

Although, I guess “flushable” just means they WILL go down the toilet and does not suggest they will break down enough to make it out of your house.

2. Interesting that so many of us are having toilet issues.

I think it is terrorism.

3. I think its funny that I find myself being attracted to your plumber. He’s kind of like the Otis of plumbers . . . a little deep, a little brooding, a little hot . . .

Good luck . . . and if the baby wipes aren’t flushable, we’re all screwed.

4. Anonymous Champ aka Pureprophet says:

Very good write!

5. Anonymous Anonymous says:

You need an old school 4 gallon flusher. You can flush a cat down those bad boys. I pick those up on bathroom remodel jobs all the time. The new 1.6 gal. toilets suck.
    -ub

6. I’ve been known to be a cat fan in the past…at least up until my 19 1/2 year old feline friend, Frederick, died a year and a half ago (I’m positive you met him a few times in the spring of 1990).

Anyhoo, despite it all, I have to confess a morbid curiosity to actually see a cat get flushed down that super duper pooper that “ub” described above. Can you put that one on YouTube for me?

7. Anonymous Random101 says:

There are worst thinks then baby wipes. True story: My father was contracted to dig up and replace a septic tank. We removed the old tank and discovered it was full of condoms. My father told the home owner that he should not flush condoms into a septic waste system. He replied “I never use rubbers!” He then stomped into the house yelling for his wife.

8. Anonymous KenP says:

The other gotcha is ‘feminine products’ of both types.

Next time go to the old time hardware store such as Ace or whatever they have there. They’ll recommend a guy that may not have shoe covers but will rod the thing out for less than a bad session on Stars.

The last time a tenant of mine did the toilet in, the one recommended by Ace charged 50 bucks.

Stay away from advise at the big box stores along with their Draino. Their advise is of similar quality to computer support hotlines. That grubby old hardware store downtown is the place to head.

9. BuckeyeTimmy says:

It seems to me that your story is missing one very slight, but significant entry. Allow me, if you will:

9:05am: $5 plunger. Worked. Damn it, now I have to come up with some other faux-funny reality.

1. February 20, 2009

[…] Greenville, SC plumber wanted to charge me nearly $1,300 for a 50-gallon water heater with a 6-year warranty, including […]