Birthday parties are un-American

We’re doing the mandatory Chuck E. Chesse for our soon-to-be 6 year old next week.

The horror. The horror.

2. BadBlood says:

Christmas is the same way. I keep telling the wife and all who would hear me to save the money they’d spend on presents and spend it on themselves the day after.

Nobody listens to genius.

3. Chilly says:

We have a $10 guideline for kids gifts and re-use the gift bags that showed up at our party.

Sort of like weddings.

Only you don’t get drunk, grind on a random married females to “Ride a horse, save a cowboy”, and the birthdays tend to happen more often (for most people).

5. Jen says:

OK, so this post left me rolling around in fits of laughter.
    Chairman Mao, indeed.
    This year we did none of that for my son’s second birthday, and never looked back.
    Of course, he’s not old enough to ask for anything yet. Rue that day.

6. Da Goddess says:

I’ve had exactly ONE party for my son that involved other kids. My daughter had ONE party involving other kids. The ex and I decided long ago that family matters most when it comes to parties. That’s a rule we’ve adhered to with those two exceptions.

Do my kids seem less happy with fewer guests? Nope. In fact, they’re more relaxed, have time to appreciate each person in attendance and the gifts they receive. There are many hugs, lots of laughter, and no tears except those from a mommy who can’t believe her babies are growing so quickly.

Where we live, there’s no way we could keep up with the Joneses or anyone else. If we tried, we’d be deeper in debt and no one would really be any happier.