When Tony comes to town: Greenville, SC

1. Darren says:

The Olive Tree at I-385 and Pleasantburg would make my list. Best calzones and pizza I’ve found here.

2. flopped da joint says:

im not so sure about taking a guy from nyc to an italian and or greek place tho. stick to the basics

3. Da Goddess says:

I love Bourdain. He’s a horribly sick addiction of mine. I’ve thought of this very query long and hard, too — Where would I recommend Tony go for good food?

First stop: Estrada’s Mexican Food. It’s slightly bigger than it was back in the 70s, when it held all of ten customers, but it’s still delicious and authentic. They make THE best gorditas. No, not that crap sold by Taco Bell, but the real deal. Their food is extraordinarily simple and filling and delicious.

Second stop: Szechuan House. My mouth is already watering. I’d have picked the old Chinese place up in Alpine (Greek owned, but full of Chinese customers), but the owner died 15 years ago and it’s a thing of the past.

Third stop: Domenic’s. Their gorgonzola salad would make you cry. Their gnocchi melts in your mouth. Back in the day, it was fun to go in for dinner on a Friday or Saturday and end up singing along with the waiters.

Fourth stop: And this is where I get all indecisive and draw a blank. I can’t break it down further than that, but I would bet, given a driver and a film crew for a day, I could quickly pick one of a dozen places I love.

4. I would have to take him to your parent’s house for your mom’s tri-tip dinner.

5. FiberDeviant says:

I found this idea intriguing… I love food… good food, that is!

(Since moving here a few years ago, I have found that there are alot of restaurants in Greenville… but not too many that I am fond of! no offense intended!)

I have 2 ideas:

#1. Focusing on the Diversity of Greenville’s Foodscene
    (he might have to pick & choose from the following)

a. the taco truck (Mexican) on Cedar Lane Road (only Fri, Sat & Sun nights)
    b. Saffron (Indian) @ intersection of Woodruff Road & Miller Road
    c. Korean BBQ (Korean) @ intersection of Woodruff Road & Miller Road also
    d. Saigon Fast Food (Vietnamese) on Pleasantburg Road
    e. Pita House (Middle Eastern\Lebanese) on Pleasantburg Road
    f. Zamorah’s (Southern\Soul\Meat &3) on Whitehorse Road
    g. El Carretero (Colombian) on Laurens Road
    h. Cositas Ricas (Colombian) on West Parker Road
    i. Pomegranate On Main (Persian) on Main Street
    j. Thai Restaurant (Thai) on Augusta Road

I really love the diversity in this town!

#2. “Greenville” spots

a. Tanners Big Orange (serving Greenville over 70 years)
    b. Charlie’s Steakhouse (serving Greenville over 80 years)
    c. Handlebar (unique Greenville eatery)
    d. Soby’s (unique Greenville eatery)
    e. brief overview Greenville’s Main Street (restaurants & events)

so that is what I would suggest if Anthony Bourdain were to ask me where to go in Greenville!

(posted on my blog: http://fiberdeviant.blogspot.com/2009/02/hmmmm-if-anthony-bourdain-came-to.html)

6. Uncle Ted says:

There are lots of days when I miss Grenville. This is one of ’em.

If its in-town (which sucks because of all the commericalization that’s happened lately)….

The first stop would be breakfast at Hudy’s Cafe. A little hokey with the northern Minnesota cabin motif, but they knock it out of the park with the stuffed omeletes, huge pancakes, and very friendly service.

Lunch at Mama G’s for appetizer staples and cheap beer/drinks while watching weekend volleyball tournaments (during the summer) or broomball (during the winter)

Dinner at The Lookout with the best full-sized Wings and BBQ sauce in town. Bonus as most weekend nights are filled with local rock bands that don’t suck.