Working from home not working

Man, you’ve read my mind. I have the same problem – I’m too easily distracted. Because of my profession, my home computer is quite literally an ATM. Yet, when I tried making it a full time proposition, I found that I didn’t have what it takes to sit there for hours on end making the big bucks.

It got to the point where I was looking at getting an office outside of the house. That seems a huge waste of expense, but I didn’t really see any other option. In the end, I didn’t get the office, but I didn’t really reach my full potential with the home computer either.

The Wife would probably tell you to sit in front of the TV with the kids running around watching Avatar on the cartoon network. That’s what she does. Every night. Until like 2am.

I am not her.

The library sounds as good a place as any. Maybe you need to pick three or four different places and mix them up a bit. In medical school, we used to go to the student union of the local college (it’s how I met The Wife in fact). Are there any schools in the area? Of course, you’d look like a dirty old man amongst all the students, but you could probably pull off the distinguished professor look with a sports jacket.

Good luck.

2. Pauly says:

Perhaps it’s not the locale, but you or perhaps the material you are working on? Or you might need to unplug everything and take off for a few weeks/months and go into seclusion to write. That’s where I’m at right now… I just can’t break the shackles of being plugged and my life/income solely dependent on the intertubes.

3. Betty says:

Hotel lobbies or hotel bars. I know you spend a lot of time in hotels, but during the days, the lobby of a posh hotel is a sweet spot and the bar is usually empty! Find one with an awesome leather chair and a view of something.

4. April says:

This, my friend, is what coworking was invented for. A quick Google shows one coworking spot in G-Vegas; not sure if there are others nearby. Some charge, some don’t. But they’re great b/c not only do you get the quiet of being in an office, but it’s the perfect place to network with like minded people. Comes in handy when you need help with some pesky HTML or can’t think of the right word or whatever.

5. Astin says:

Of course, there’s always the risk that whoever you share that office with will drive you nuts. Happened to a couple people I know, who decided to split an office space and now can’t stand each other.

The beauty of Wi-Fi is that it isn’t restricted by walls. Find a park near the library, coffee shop, or happy mutant, and enjoy the fresh air while working. Or just go in your backyard. Of course, this doesn’t work so well in the chillier months.

Find your nearest Apple Store and leech off their wireless from the mall if you want chaos. There’s that minor problem of loitering though.

6. Alicia says:

Hey Brad! I enjoy reading your posts. I had a tough time with a similar transition – moving from the chaotic environment of a newsroom to the quieter office environment of a PR firm. I’m always telling my coworkers that it’s too quiet in our office. While I might miss the chaos, I do enjoy having Christmas off.

7. Bam-Bam says:

Not just because I love saying it but, I’m with Betty. 🙂

There are times when I actually have to leave the office to get stuff done. When those times come around, The Marriot lobby area with the pool, bar, very comfy seating and just enough distractions to make me seem nearly invisible to the masses, is the spot I run to.

Good Luck!

I’ve hit up a local sports bar.

Plenty of action going on, fun to watch the suits crash and burn in their attempts to hit on the blonde by the Golden Tee machine, and one with decent food/beer selection is a plus.

9. Mean Gene says:

The brewpub near my apartment was perfect. I could walk there in a few minutes and they had free WiFi. I could almost always get a seat at the bar and they’d even let me plug in my laptop. The food was good, the beer better. I’d sit there among the folks there for a pint or a bite and feel surprisingly compelled to write. Since it closed I haven’t tried the other bars nearby, mostly because I’d have to drive there. And because I guess I feel some sense of loyalty and nostalgia for pubs gone by.

10. MGM says:

Is “adding on” an option? Moving? I have worked from home quite a lot over the years. I have a home office in the back corner of the lowest level of my home. Pretty quiet down there and minimal distractions, yet close enough to the activity should I be needed for something. Works out great. You may just need some bigger digs. Maybe not such a great time to be moving though, huh?

11. Da Goddess says:

Explaining what testicles are? Gotcha covered there, Otis. Simply google “da goddess baby got balls” and you’ll have the answer. Do NOT go to other sites that claim to have this information (except Blogcritics, but even then, screw ’em, cuz I just regurgitated it from my site) because you’ll be horribly sorry if you do. Trust me on this one. Just google what I told you to google and you’ll be fine.

12. RickyBobby says:

Don’t know if you are trying to spend a couple bucks or not but heres what a buddy of mine did. He got a nice shed stuck it in the back yard ran electricity to it, added a a/c unit like a window unit or stand alone unit, ran cable tv/internet out there and ding instant office outside the house.

13. TheTrooper97 says:

I’ve found that no one really cares how long you stay. As you know, I played online poker for months at Port City Java downtown. But that’s not to say that I have never concerned myself with the same questions of how long I will be welcome at a spot.

In recent times, my fondness for starbucks has seen me subscribe to AT&T WiFi. Starbucks is a T Mobile hotspot but they allow AT&T subscribers to use it as well. You can subscribe to TMobile for $30 per month or AT&T for $20 per month. Obviously I chose AT&T. The main point is that I’m paying for the internet so I don’t give a crap what they think of how loing I stay and the particulat Starbucks I’m in now is open 24/7. I plug in the earbuds and no nooise bothersme and I get to see people in my peripherals, which keeps me stimulated for some odd reason.

14. Gloria says:

Is there a way to become a content writer for the site?