Much ado about a monkey

1. StB says:

And that is what they call a walk off home run. Touch them all and head into the clubhouse. Well said Otis.

2. Pauly says:

But isn’t that the point? To create distractions like the chimp and Octomon in order to keep the real issues from being discussed like eroding civil liberties, the escalation of wars abroad, and corporate welfare?

3. Special K says:

“I believe that he is strong enough to stay true to his convictions and proceed in a way he thinks best for the country.”

That describes Bush pretty well. Are you sure you want another one?

Well, it certainly is neither funny nor satire. That differs from their editorial page which can be hilarious.

As to the Sharpton types — red, blue, and black — distortion or embellishment is a tool. Groups that are polarized tend toward that.

I didn’t support Obama and had an impossible task trying to find someone I could support. Still looking I fear.

For eight year under Bush, we’ve printed money to finance the war. While doing so we did nothing to control other spending. That put a great deal of new money in circulation. If you go to the St. Louis fed site you can see the numbers. This explosion in funds creates bubbles. There was one under Y2K by Greenspan that funded the Internet bubble but that was chump change compared with what has happened for 8 year.

Now ‘your guy’s’ wisdom is that the housing market fire and then meltdown — likely caused by to much available money — can be solved by printing a whole lot more money. Do you really think that’ll work?

What is needed is prosecution of the runaway, powerful entities. And there were a ton of common types that were fellow travelers. Housing would have never spiraled out of control without appraisers and loan officers looking the other way. Wink-Wink and a Nudge-Nudge. To throw a ton of new money that direction is incendiary.

The last great developed nation to print money in such a fashion was the Weimar Republic.

I am from Wappingers Falls, NY.

Who cares? Search for it on Google. Type in “Wappingers Falls Sharpton.” Go ahead. I’ll wait. Here – let me help you:

The first hit says it all – “Tawana Brawley rape allegations.” My sisters and I went to school with her. Why is this important? Because this is when our nation became aware of everyone’s favorite opportunist – The Reverend Al. I will only say this about him – he is a sore on the backside of America and he has done more to promote racism than any individual since the days of the Klan.

Now, as for the cartoon… perhaps I’m cured of the national white man’s guilt, but I honestly don’t see racism anywhere in that comic. If it’s there, it’s perceived (which actually makes it real). It makes me wonder, though. How many people had to be told it was racist, then believed it just because the Reverend said it was so?

6. Tom says:

I agree with your comments. I also like Scott Adams’ quote “you can’t underestimate the public’s ability to find offense where none is written.” Seen it happen all too often.

I am an Obama supporter, and regardless of the cartoonists intent my gut reaction when I saw the cartoon was revulsion at overtones of racism and hints of presidential assassination. However, I also immediately remembered laughing at photos comparing Bush to a chimp. It’s a complex issue, but the philosophy of “remindsmeof” is hard to dismiss.

7. Charlie Bernstein says:

I’d never heard the story of a monkey attacking a woman and immediately read the cartoon as a sick racist call to bigots to shoot the president.

My mistake.