To my second son

And if comments are still visible when your son is old enough to read this post, I offer this addendum: You will get lost along the way. When it happens, come back and read this.

2. Human Head says:

Nice job, sir, and once again, congrats to the both of you.

3. Da Goddess says:

That photo is gorgeous. As is this writing.

You really know how to bring a room to its feet.

(P.S. I think the guy walking the snake is the kid who used to live two houses down and take my snake for a walk with my little sister.)

(P.P.S. I think the old guy is glad you didn’t run him over.)

4. willythewise says:

elegant. thoughtful.

5. Mike Daly says:

I think the two brothers are in good hands. It make take them a while to find their way, but with parents like you two, they’ll do just fine.

6. Jim The Knife says:

Not much to say except….. FANTASTIC…..
    I hope this is just one of many you’ll write
    to him for 18 years… then give them to him.

Like me you may not know the final destination; but, you folks seem to have all the road markers for getting there charted.

8. Jillene says:

Your thoughts are so clear, so moving, so poignant. It’s amazing the insights we gain… on so little sleep!

Maybe the Beatles were right… love is all you need.

9. Bam-Bam says:

These Fathers words ‘fell’ on currently deaf ears, yet will probably
    be one of the most important eye openers in young DOS’ life.

The irony that is Humanity in a nutshell?

A wonderful read and as always, thanks for sharing.

10. BWoP says:

Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

11. Wil says:

Dear mini-Otis,

Your dad makes me cry like a little baby all the time.

Also, keep an eye on your crayons, because he will eat them.

-Wil

12. Tammie McGoldrick says:

Brad – simply beautiful – you should definitely save this and future letters to him to give him when he turns 18. What a wonderful gift that would be.

I would also like to add an addendum:

A Beatles song was referenced earlier. Listen to The Beatles as often as you can – they seem to teach us life’s lessons well through their music.

John Lennon wrote in a song a long time ago something I have said to myself many times “Life is just what happens to you while your busy making other plans”. Things are going to happen in your life that you won’t understand, that is part of life. But know this – if you live every single moment and don’t let anything pass you by you will come to understand the age old question we all seem to ask ourselves – “Just what is life all about?”. Your dad said it best – “Life – is love”. Simple.

13. T says:

You almost made me cry, but I just got back from Carowinds with a 15-month-old and a 7-year-old…and I’m in no mood for it. Instead, I pass along wisdom that was once given to me.

Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it.

14. JC says:

Excellent. Ah, life. A month ago “Mastodon” weekend, now this. I thought your writings from your last trip summed it up. It is not about the wiener that ends up on your plate, but the unbridled excitement of the unknown that keeps us yearning for another day.

1. May 18, 2009

[…] To my second son […]

2. December 29, 2009

[…] To my second son It’s not for my nipples My phirst time On failure […]

3. January 28, 2010

[…] hours before we went to the hospital. It is unfinished and not anything like the eventual “Letter to my second son“, but has one moment that I like. What’s more, it helps me remember it all as it should […]