Stay

Brad Willis ·

three-score and ten
    thirty-five
    do the divide thing
    half way there

Years really don’t count though. What has crested is the hill. It is downhill but — unless you are Peaker — that is an enjoyable thing.

Not saying good, bad or whatever. It is only the transition that will take place before you know it. You’ve written a lot about it from the other perspective. Now the page turns. Your folks enjoyed that and you documented it. Bet you will too.

How’s Uno doing in his ABC’s? Montessori have a writing major? He’ll have shoes to fill before either of you know it.

2. AtlantaSusan says:

That was so sweet. Just kiss and hug him as much as you can.

3. BadBlood says:

Otis is the sum of many parts. Glad to see the parent part is such a good one.

4. pokertart says:

Parenthood – the ultimate heartbreaker. I loved this post….makes me want to go home right now and hug my little boy.

5. AgSweep says:

If you keep writing like this I am going to have to stop reading before my morning coffee. I hate sniffleling before I have coffee! Hold tight to these childhood years for they pass all too quickly. I have always felt sorry for the parents who at the end of the day felt they sacrificed too much for their children and marriages. Everybody periodically resents the familial burdens but looking at the amazing, complex, imperfect, fascinating individuals my children have turned out to be I wouldn’t change a thing.

6. Bam-Bam says:

It always seems that the truly remarkable moments, tend to present themselves at the most un-remarkable times. Thanks for sharing.

Oh…… and staying at 5 is the bomb! ‘Cept he’ll turn out to be just like me so, I’d be careful what you wish for if I were you.

🙂

I once wanted nothing but to climb the corporate ladder as quickly as possible.

After the accident and parenting kicked in, I’d rather enjoy the view from the rung I’ve reached and do more things that excite me versus my superiors at work.

“become a better writer” You’re doing it right, great post Otis.

8. OhCaptain says:

Well said.

I too remember looking at my infant children and wishing they were older so that I could understand them. They slept, ate and pooped. I wanted more. Now, time is moving to fast and seeing the grow up so fast has me begging the ride operator to slow this thing down.

Great post!

9. Very true. There are the days when the kids come into town where I could stay up all night just to watch them sleep.

You are “a better writer” but you have the title that is more important

Dad

10. Julius_Goat says:

Wow, what a beautiful piece. My oldest two turned five in May and just entered kindergarten, and I’m always on the edge of a nostalgic tsunami. This resonated strongly.

Lovely. Thank you.

11. MGM says:

Yeah. Totally know this feeling. I’ve been begging my kiddos to never grow up. It started when they were a few weeks old and has continued for the past six years. My girl just turned six and just lost her first tooth the “real” way today (without dental assistance as she lost the others). I had one of these moments today that you describe. Whenever these moments come, I wonder how many more years I’ll continue to have them. It’s almost as disconcerting as wondering if they will one day cease. Parenting finds me in a constant conundrum.

12. Da Goddess says:

It gets even more difficult to slow the clock the older they get.

I stood at the edge of a runway two days ago and watched my son and my daughter float off into the air, pure joy on their faces. And I was both thrilled and terrified because I wanted them to have fun and I also had no way of knowing that they’d come back to me in one piece. Life is kind of like that. As they get older, you just have to trust that they’ll keep coming back to you, happier for the experience of soaring above the clouds, happier because you loved them enough to let them do so.