I was driving down the road one day…

1. Julius_Goat says:

Well done. Reminds me, I have to ween my girls off the Disney Princess songs.

A Whole New World? My head is the road.

2. Simone says:

I guess I should also remove Hannah Montana/ Miley Cyrus from my car and start something new… Just NOT Leona Lewis.

3. Pauly says:

Start ’em young. Lil Otis is a space kid. We’ll see him on 2025 Phish summer tour.

4. Aaron says:

I find it funny you express love for the Crue, but distaste for Nirvana. My best tool for getting my son to enjoy my music has been Rock Band and Guitar Hero. His top three bands right now are Nirvana, The Pixies, and Smashing Pumpkins. Next Up The Beatles Rock Band.

Aaron–It’s not a Nirvana distaste or Crue love. I could never argue against Nirvana’s impact on music or Crue’s superficiality. As odd as it is (and I’m at a complete loss to explain or defend it), I just never got into Nirvana. Go figure, huh? And Crue is just a piece of nostalgia for me.

6. gatorphish says:

Nice. You, sir, are a wonderful father.
    Last week I put my son to bed (one year’s old this Saturday) to Miles Davis (Kind of Blue) and then Van Morrison (Astral Weeks), I believe he enjoyed it greatly.

My daughter (almost four) can pick out a Phish song, but still calls the band Fishman. When she was under a year old, the easiest way to get her to sleep was to play anything with Jerry singing. She would also calm down to SCI, YMSB, DTB, and Neil Young.

What a wonderful event.

The Lad has brought Otis out of his shell.

And a child shall lead them.

(I’m sure he listens to Ackey Breaky Heart in private.)

8. Poker Shrink says:

I was riding in my aunt’s car and she turned off the radio because that “boy with the dirty hips” was singing. It was 1959 and she was censoring Elvis Presley.

I’m just sayin’

9. AgSweep says:

Both my kids can sing every word to ‘Thunder Road’ and can whine along on ‘Abandoned Luncheonette'(obscure Hall and Oates). Apparently children are resilient, if that didn’t warp them nothing can. Keep filling your house with music and love and you can’t go wrong.

10. BadBlood says:

Within the first few seconds of “Harvester of Sorrow” my son asked me just this morning, “Dad, is that Metallica?”

11. Daddy says:

YOUR END IS THE ROAD!

12. G-Rob says:

This story makes Uncle G-Rob EXTREMELY happy.

13. T says:

poss-sum….Poss-Sum….POSSUM

14. OhCaptain says:

I struggle with the musical education of my kids. My wife is pretty much a devote top 40 girl. My tastes lean all over the rock/jazz/blues map, but we live in music hell. The biggest live music even here every year is the Lorrie Line concert (I shudder).

The influences surrounding my kids are powerful. I hope I find a way like you to share my love of music with my kids.

Thanks for the post