Facing the bad man

1. susannah says:

you’ve just made me miss both of my previous careers. both the watching the system, and the “freedom stealing” (as jay called it).

imho, your showing up in ct made all the difference. i know i’ve found myself praying that the victim wouldn’t show up, so the plea would go thru.

i’m glad you went. i hope the same judge hears the case the next time the bad man is in ct.

2. The Wife says:

Its a way of taking control. You can’t fix what he did; can’t go back in time. But you can look him in the eye and know that he knows that his victims are real people and that what he did was wrong. You put a face to his crime. He’s got to live with that now.

Man, I feel good about this. Well done.

Have you ever taken your kids to see this process? Do you plan on doing it?

Susannah–Yeah, I know…I miss being there, but I keep reminding myself that being there did a lot more damage to my soul, to my family, and to me than it was ever worth.

Chako–Kids are still too young to see it. They wouldn’t get it yet. In a few years, I plan to take the older boy. I think all kids should see it. Makes teen decision-making a lot more informed.

5. Skip says:

YOU LIE!! (sorry, couldn’t resist the SoCar dig from last night)

Good call on taking the kids, might have to try that myself. Kind of a home-grown “scared straight” program? They tried that on us my senior yr in HS w/ a tour of the local prison- all we got out of it was plenty of new material for tormenting the select few classmates who were singled out by the inmates for sexual advances. (not me)

I wish I’d had your courage to face “the bad man” in court.

My parents got rear ended by someone doing 100+ mph while drunk and high, like Tervo he had a long petty rap sheet and was running from a hit-and-run. Luckily they owned a station wagon that took the brunt of the blow smashing the car completely in up to the driver’s seats.

The guy got off light with probation and fine payable to my parents (which he never paid), but I always wondered what would have happened if us three showed up at the courthouse during the trial to say something because according to the accident pictures all three of us would have been instantly killed at ages 15, 11, and 9 yet my dad got out of his car, unable to feel his right hand, to turn off the motor of the passed out a-hole so his car wouldn’t blow up because even after hitting my parents his foot was still on the gas.

7. Da Goddess says:

Good for you for going. Too many people don’t because they think it doesn’t matter. And if everyone did that, eventually the judges and attorneys would stop caring, too.

I’m glad you can tell your eldest that you faced the bad man and, regardless of the outcome, make him feel a little safer.

8. Liz says:

B – I have loved catching up with you via your blog, hope M is well – tell her I said hi!

Especially loved reminiscing with this post. Helping you cover Carolina Investors was my favorite time at YFF. Thank you for taking me under your wing.

Liz

9. PirateLawyer says:

Great story. I wish more people would take the time and effort to provide such honest input into the justice system. Speaking as a criminal lawyer, I am often forced to be cynical about the process but your story here reminds me to keep the faith.

The last word I would ever use to describe your trip to court would be “irrelevant”.