Mastodon Weekend deconstructed

Brad Willis · Published · Updated

1. T says:

…and a sweaty man looking more uncomfortable than a game show contestant on How Much Can Your Anal Cavity Hold.

I appreciate your sensitivity to my medical anomalies.

Dammit. That’s what I was going to say. I just would have used much shorter words. And it would have been less eloquent. And boring.

Thanks again for summing up exactly how I feel about flying 3000 miles (again) for a weekend of total nonsense. I will recount this weekend from my rocking chair to the point where my fellow nursing home peeps will walk away mumbling, “Not the damn Mastodon story again.”

PS. I was going to say that next time I promise not to fawn all over you (and Iggy, THE Mark, Pauly, Blood, Bam Bam etc.), but dammit, it’s what I do when I drink.

3. puravida26 says:

Thanks for this excellent reflection on the weekend and your crew. Y’all made me feel welcome in a way I’ve rarely experienced when in a new-kid-among-old-friends situation. I hope to have the chance to meet up with y’all again sooner rather than later. It was a weekend to top weekends and it’ll keep me smiling for a long time.

4. When I grow up, I want to write gold like you do.

Sure all the Twitter updates all weekend KILLED me as I was mired in adult responsibility, but this… reading this… well, I welled up a little. Guess it’s because even though I couldn’t make it, I was on the invite list and God DAMN if this isn’t some of the best company I can think of keeping.

5. The Wife says:

Seriously, dude, you HAVE to stop making me feel all sad about being responsible mother and stuff – I wanted to be irresponsible with all my friends . . .

We really are a motley, beautiful crew of misfits, no?

6. I knew I should have written something before I read anything.

Thanks again for all the effort. This has mostly filled that void I felt for having never attended Bradoween.

7. P.S. I think you have my 11th blog linked. I’m on 24 now. Totally different url. And since I hardly ever write (But, but, but I MIGHT write about Mastodon!) I wouldn’t blame you for not changing it or for everyone to not go read. I would though, try to blame The Mark somehow. I know he had nothing to do with it but it would give me an excuse to get in touch with him and remind him that I busted him from the tournament.

8. BadBlood says:

Not sure how we’re going to top this past weekend. Not sure at all.

Wow, Tim is a maestro with the camera. Beautiful pictures. As is the one’s writing in the above post.

I meant what I said in the cab about never being able to pay you back for what you and this group has given me despite it being near 3am, and have a feeling we’ll have a chance to do this again.

Until next time my friend.

10. Bam-Bam says:

“That is, you can’t have enough good people in your life. We have scant few years to breathe and I want to spend that time with people who bring me joy.”

Couldn’t have said it better myself!

Long live The Mastodons.

11. Pauly says:

There is a lyric from Traffic — “the simple things are the hardest to explain” but you managed to do that eloquently.

Simply put… thanks… for everything.

12. BWoP says:

You were right. Absolutely right.

13. M says:

O –

You make me reflect back to 5+ years ago when I boarded a plane, flew to somewhere I’d never been before to meet up with a group of complete and utter strangers who instantly became both the oddest and most wonderful group of friends I’ve ever had the good fortune to claim. You were there with a big Otis hug. This group is remarkable – far more than booze, brags & bar bets. A phenomenon that can’t adequately be explained, nor should it be.

Wish I coulda been there.

14. 23skidoo says:

Thanks again Otis -et al- I feel like I haven’t and can’t say it enough. Till next time.

15. Da Goddess says:

Good God, you have some great friends. Better still, you’ve figured out the secret to LIVING.

1. May 3, 2014