St. Francis Hospital responds…but not to us

1. Jason says:

You have enough friends who are lawyers to know that the hospital’s response (via their law firm) is not unexpected. The real question is what will the Dept of Consumer’s Affairs do now?

2. Grange95 says:

This is one of those situations where, if I were the hospital’s attorney, I would long ago have suggested a sit-down between Otis & his wife, and a high-level financial officer. There would have been a frank discussion of the situation, then an apology for “unintended confusion” and an offer to refund the excess charges without any admission of liability. Perhaps even throw in a promise to review the hospital’s billing procedures.

The stonewalling, blame the victim approach rarely works, and usually is because of someone high up covering his backside against criticism that he mishandled the initial complaints.

Still, a stunningly inept performance by the hospital.

3. OhCaptain says:

Most businesses would have long since slithered under a rock after making you happier. Like Grange said, this really is starting to look like someone covering their butt after completely botching the first phase. I really can’t wait to here what the Dept. of Consumer Affairs does. Where I’m from, that “the consumer’s are just stupid” approach is usually met with a quick chuckle and more embarrassing investigations into things they really don’t want public. Oops.

4. BadBlood says:

It takes a big person to admit he’s made a mistake. St. Francis administrators have cemented themselves as small minded people once again.

5. Franky5Angel says:

Can’t wait until next month’s St. Francis posting. I smell a movie script, book deal, musical in the works. This whole thing is so bad it’s almost comical. Very good fodder.

6. pokerpeaker says:

I had a similar situation happen to me at a local medical clinic here, and it was obvious to me, too, that they simply thought I was just too stupid to understand. When I finally told them who I was – yes, that Dan England who writes for the paper – they changed gears right away. I would imagine they treat all their clients like this, and that’s probably the biggest reason why more and more people are so pissed about their health care.
    Keep after ’em.

7. The Hankster says:

Don’t expect a lot from the Dept. of Consumer Affairs…It has been my experience…that they are…(More often than not)…a ‘Toothless Tiger’

*** off topic ***

I saw your blog “over there” today about giving: Raiding the VIP store to give back

My blog for today was of a similar vein. soldierangeles.org is happy to get mugs, chip sets, etc. to forward to the troops. Good organization and my go to one.

9. MARY STACK says:

Thank you for the follow-up on this story. I initially read about your problem on my twitter. You are not in a unique situation and the majority of people with this dilemma, simply give up the fight. I have read too many stories of sick people who can barely handle the complications of illness and are unable to muster strength for a ‘waiting game’ battle. Grange95 is wrong when he stated the “stonewalling, blame the victim approach rarely works”. Hospitals, physicians, hc services are playing the favorable odds on this game.

10. Wes says:

Typical response from Nexsun Pruet. It probably would have been the same if the hospital had dropped a cart on the baby’s head during delivery. As someone who used to represent Plaintiffs, I can tell you, an apology early in the process often would make a lot of things go away.