Sinner and a sinner’s son

1. Bob Woolley says:

I can’t believe you didn’t teach him about “bing blang blaow” and rubbing the money on his titties.

More seriously, one of the best aphorisms I ever heard in church was this: “We’re put on earth to learn to love people and to use things. If you get those mixed up, you go to hell.”

2. bigdaddy says:

Nice blog Otis. I have often had similar worries with the way I raised my son, but I always thought it was better that I taught him some rules about gambling so that he wouldn’t be a complete degen and gamble responsibly if there is such a thing. He’s 29 married to a great woman, working on his doctorate, has his dream job, and so far gambling hasn’t been an issue. So for now I think I am winner. Good luck with your son.

Best wager I’ve ever lost. Well worth it, especially after reading this.

Born and raised Catholic (not practicing now) with card/gambling loving parents and grandparents, I was never told nor directed that gambling was a sin nor should I feel guilty for wanting a piece of my grandfather’s parlay number’s card for the bowl games.

Religion shouldn’t be the basis of testing gambling’s legality, it’s a way of life that certain people choose to live there existance thru. Imposing those interpretations of a book on others who want to call a river bet in a home game without getting a ticket, is the real sin.

4. Bam-Bam says:

A challenge presented opportunity and with that, came success. Success was then rewarded with some “stuff” and a great few hours for the boy with his Dad. More of those hours will surely come from playing with the “stuff” with Dad, Mom and Dos.

Doesn’t sound too ‘sin’-ister to me but then again, mini-Peb’s was holding a bass guitar and jammin’ like Cliff Burton at the age of 8.

So despite your current Vegas odds being slightly better than mine, I’ll see you there for a drink. Where ever there ends up being!

5. broc says:

you can make amends by using his skill to help someone else and have him pick me some day game winners today!!

6. Little Willie says:

I’m pretty sure you have not turned the boy into a gambler. He is already mixing his bankroll with his regular money. He didn’t even consider using the $150 to bet on something else. You still have a lot of work to do.

7. RedxBranch says:

first— So, you forgot how to write, huh? pfft

second— β€œFor the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil.” If a person really ‘loved money’ would he be willing to gamble with it? I don’t think so.

8. Wes says:

I’m tinged with guilt every time I leave the house on Wednesdays and Sundays and tell the kids I’m “going to see some friends.” I think you’re OK here though. This is more of a contest than a gamble. By the time he’s old enough to play with his own money, he’ll realize it’s a crap shoot. Just to be safe though, can I buy his picks for next year?

9. Jo says:

Interesting post, made me think. I wasn’t sure I liked your ‘kid with cash’ photo, but the feeling didn’t make sense because I take my kids to the races and let my daughter gamble.

She once picked a 66/1 winner and I gave her some of the money but not the lot. She wasn’t old enough to understand odds so I got away with it. I didn’t keep the cash out of greed (although I was losing so it was useful!) but I know how much she likes money and things, just like all kids. It didn’t seem right to give her Β£132 of easy money for some random pick. She’s keen to do her chores to earn her pocket money, I didn’t want her asking when we were going to the races instead.

I don’t think giving her the money would have been a huge mistake, but I can’t see that it would have taught her any useful lesson’ and it could have been harder to get her to set the table and feed the cat. She’s older than your son so it’s different, and if she’d been five I might well have given her a spending spree treat.

I think I’d like my daughter to learn that gambling is about reward for some risk. I don’t want her thinking win money comes out of the air. So if she’s going to learn about wins, then maybe she needs to learn about losses too? Except I wouldn’t have her bet her own money at the races, she didn’t ask to be there, she’s not old enough to judge a good bet. It would be a fast way for her to lose her pocket money – it would be cruel.

She’s getting smart enough to understand odds now (great maths lesson) so I need a new plan for racing days. I’ll probably give her Β£10 and tell her it’s up to her what she does with it. I expect she’ll spend it fast on 66/1 horses and wish she’d taken it to a toy shop instead. It will be a harder lesson for me, I’d rather see her enjoy wins and play with new toys than see her lose.

10. BadBlood says:

Only thing I may have done differently was let him spend some of it and save the rest for a rainy day. And by rainy day, I mean for next year’s pool. πŸ™‚

When your kids appear on TV playing poker, come talk to me. πŸ™‚

11. Absinthe says:

This is all perfectly well and good so long as next season when his bracket bombs out early, all of the toys go to the pawn shop to cover his buyin. So long as he doesn’t ask to go double or nothing, you won’t have any need to worry.

12. trodoss says:

I appreciate going for the Star Wars toys πŸ˜‰

β€œSize matters not, … Look at me. Judge me by size, do you?” — Yoda.

13. joaquinochoa says:

I, like Mrs. Otis, didn’t grow up with a lot in my pocket…nor did my folks have a lot in their pocket…but what they did have in those pockets was a bunch of love.

My friend…that trumps all money and sin when you get older.

14. StB says:

Sounds to me like you and your wife a doing a fine job of raising your kids.

1. December 31, 2010

[…] Sinner and a sinner’s son–Testing that theory about the sins of the father… […]