The Irrational Machine

1. Wes says:

Oh, I remember having to give little Hank back to the hospital so soon after we had taken him home. I scoured the net for reassurances that were fleeting. The owner’s manuals on these things suck.

Last night going to bed at 3am after working all day yesterday and hearing my daughter cry just as my head hit the pillow snapped me out of my zombie/need sleep mode and immediately turned on daddy mode. She finally got some sleep around 4am.

After years of this it’s automatic, yet I’ll see my body outside of itself if downtime doesn’t come in the form of alcoholic beverages on a dry deck with a little breeze and iPod softly shooting out music.

Luckily the medicine for the adults is much easier to apply than for the child.

3. pokerpeaker says:

Amen.

And your baby sings Pat Boone?

4. Scott says:

The good news, though? There are still plenty of humans walking around on the surface of the earth. We’re a pretty resilient bunch of motherscratchers. Your own personal anklebiter will soon be one of them.

I can say this now, being a grandfather. Greatest thing ever.

5. Bam-Bam says:

I’m convinced that sometimes it’s the relentless search for the manual and/or instructions, that can bring one to their knees. Then the obvious sound of a defect in that lovely little engine, breaks us down the rest of the way.

Always remember, the sporty suspensions of our little machines aren’t tuned for perfectly smooth roads anyhow. There’s some kind of failsafe built into them and apparently, it’s the same one that makes us spend so much time with the chamois.

Ps… I can’t say I’m thrilled by the sound of “Pat Boone singing covers of Lovin’ Spoonful songs.” That sounds dangerously close to ‘shop’ muzac and if that is the case, may your time there be short and very, VERY productive.

6. emme says:

I liked this one a lot. I expect I’ll be thinking about it for a while.

Hope the baby is OK.

Best thoughts

7. emme says:

Forgot to add that I pictured the story as a Coen Brothers film.

1. December 31, 2010

[…] The Irrational Machine–What I consider to be the best-ever metaphor for parenting an infant […]