The Dennis DeYoung Dilemma

If my aspiration in life was to look like Merv Griffin in my senior years, yes I’d like to be Dennis DeYoung.

But, as you say, I’ll take my chances being me.

2. BadBlood says:

I can out-bench Dennis DeYoung. And that’s all that matters.

I would however change places with Tom Brady at any point in the last 9 years.

3. Chilly says:

I’d go for Tommy Shaw. He sings the better Styx songs like Renegade. Also, he was part of Damn Yankees with Brother Ted and we know how those after show parties went. Also, getting mistaken for David Spade would never get old.

4. The Wife says:

I love Styx. Is that relevant?

5. Lynne says:

Eh. To be honest I wouldn’t want to be anyone else period.

But out of the list of names you posted… Dennis is the one I have the most respect for.

And yes I knew exactly who he was before reading the explanation. I started listening to Styx in the year I turned 13 … and while many other girls my age picked Tommy as their favorite I picked Dennis. 😉

So no, I wouldn’t want to be him…. now meeting him on the other hand. Now that would rock. 😉

6. Corey Ludecke says:

Splendid article! This post I will remember for sure!

7. Frank Corley says:

HI,

I knew Dennis very well, he was a coworker of now the defunct High-Low foods of Chicago. At the time I met him he was playing mostly in High Schools and the like. We hung around a little. He was a great guy in those days.

8. Margo says:

If I could be Dennis DeYoung, I would be.
    Styx is my favorite band and I would kill for DeYoung to be on stage with them again.
    They could rise up to the top, again, but only together.
    I would walk right up on stage, take the mic from Gowan, and sing my 64-year-old butt off.

XD

But I live for that kind of funny stuff, so it may just be me. LOL

Fame is fleeting, but history repeats itself.

9. Jim says:

This is one stupid article. DeYoung is a very successful singer/song writer and earned his place in Rock N Roll history. The band did not see eye to eye…happens a lot in bands….but your article seems to be making him a punch line of sorts. I still am trying to figure out your point? DDY shaped a generation (or two) with musical inspiration…and he is still an awesome performer….and you, you write a blog that is 2 years old and has 10 total posts. Get a life (one half as good as DDY’s)

10. RockinME says:

I share the same illness with Dennis Deyoung that stole away his stardom. It has a crappy name that does not describe how wretched it truly is in its severe stages. It’s name is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. From the looks of things, Dennis is doing fantastic, so I’d rather be Dennis.

11. I would do it as long as I also inherited his talent along with the switch. It would be weird that DDY suddenly couldn’t sing or play at a high level.

Then… I would dye some of my hair, grow a beard, and call Tommy Shaw.

I’d be like, I feel like a new man, let’s rock biatch. Let’s also restructure the Styx corporation to give everybody a better, fairer cut. Let’s be friends and be a rock band.

I’d also be saying, hey, nobody but the die-hard fans care for any new music from us, but, we all have home studios, let’s invest nothing but our time and talent and do some writing / recording / producing / mastering in our personal studios and release some new deep-cut style Styx music on a physical-media-less format for the people who have supported us over the last 42 years. Yeah, we won’t make money doing that, but that’s what milking the hits live is for. It would also help solidify our legacy, especially if the material was actually good like we are capable of.

Then I could die happy, even if a bit sooner than I was planning.

1. August 17, 2010

[…] I’m not the only one being a bit introspective. Otis, as usual, is carrying it to new heights in today’s blog. […]