And so…LA

You need a bow tie to yank loose…

Its quarter to three,
    There’s no one in the place cept you and me
    So set em up joe
    I got a little story I think you oughtta know

Were drinking my friend
    To the end of a brief episode
    So make it one for my baby
    And one more for the road

As someone who has lived 34 of his (nearly) 36 years in the same place, I’d have no basis to offer advice.

So instead, I offer good luck and hope that you and your family get to where you want to go.

3. Bam-Bam says:

FWIW, which is probably far too little, I also believe in you.

4. Jen says:

You asked someone why they live here when it costs so much and returns so little. If you were to ask me why I left St. Louis 12 years ago and moved to L.A. without a job or friends to live in an apartment that costs twice what I paid in STL, I could give you a very long answer. But the short one is that I’ve always been in love with L.A., and despite its flaws that I’ve discovered in the last dozen years, it is a vibrant, sprawling city that thrives between the ocean and the mountains. I enjoy the diversity here, the many cultures and cuisines and opportunities and ideas. It is a city of hope and dreams, though some people only see the despair and heartbreak. Everybody doesn’t love this city, but some of us couldn’t imagine living anywhere else.

I’m sorry your L.A. experience wasn’t what you hoped it would be.

5. Shane says:

What Jen said.

6. Poker Shrink says:

I lived there fifteen years, yet I do not recognize the city you describe. Perhaps we see with different eyes.

7. Katkin says:

As another who was once drawn by the siren song of LA, I too understand your dilemma. The fact is, the city can be a cruel mistress. She lures you with wine, women and song in one hand, and punches you in the junk with the other.

LA is, in short, a love it or leave it kind of place. I wanted to love it when I moved there and, like many relationships, things just didn’t work out between us. That said, I’m happy to have the experience, but like an ex-girlfriend, the city remains a place I can visit occasionally, but won’t ever settle down with for the long haul.

8. MiamiDon says:

Follow your dreams. Follow your heart. Follow your passion.

To the LA folk…don’t get me wrong. I fell for this place in a way I didn’t think I would. Completely unexpected, really. Regardless, to all, thanks for reading.

10. Pauly says:

There’s a reason why I call in Hollyweird.

Like most native New Yorkers who adopted Los Angeles, I have a love/hate relationship with this town so much so that I have yet to switch my NY state license over to California…even though I’ve been living here after I barely escaped living in Las Vegas.

Our buddy Trey said it the best: “I’m waiting for the time when I can finally say, this has all been wonderful, but now I’m on my way….but when I think it’s time to leave it all behind, I try to find a way, but there’s nothing I can say to make it stop…”

11. T says:

It’s this woman who, knowing well how desperate and scared and I can be, sends me a late night message with four simple words: “I believe in you.”

You are the most blessed man in the entire world.

1. December 31, 2010