Worth a thousand nightmares

I see more death than most. Doesn’t make it any easier. I don’t need to see this body, but I sure would like to shake the hand of the SEAL who finished him. His orders were shoot to kill, and he didn’t hesitate. Good training.

Welcome to the dark side. 🙂

Next week is good enough for going back to saving the downtrodden.

3. Lee says:

Just so.

1. Publishing the pictures will change the minds of exactly zero people. If you don’t believe it now, then the word “Photoshop” is all you need to continue disbelieving.

2. Anybody with any sense realizes #1, therefore, the only purpose in publishing it is pure unadulterated spite and vengeance. Let’s show that we can be above that.

3. Your first paragraph makes me hope I never *ever* see a violent death. I’ve always suspected those images haunt most people with a soul for a lifetime. I have no doubt I wouldn’t be exempt.

4. Looking at the photo of the Situation Room, did anybody immediately think of “Ender’s Game”?

5. I will never again be able to hear Wolf Blitzer say he’s in the “Situation Room” without laughing at him. You sir, are in a Pseudo Situation Room Wannabe.

Regards, Lee

4. Luckbox says:

80% of our facebook fans say the picture should be shown on air and online. And our biggest facebook demographic is women 25-54 years old. Makes you wonder.

Local FB TV station commenters are running about the same percentage, CJ. Indeed, makes me wonder.

6. Absinthe says:

I have some thoughts on this. They’ll be up in the morning. Short version: I want to see the photos, but wanting to see them and wanting the government to release them are not the same thing.

7. Rakewell says:

“He gave up his right to due process when he took public credit for murdering nearly 3,000 people on American soil.”

I don’t understand this. Would you say the same thing about Timothy McVeigh, once he confessed to the bombing that killed 168? That is, would you have been in favor of a government official pulling out a pistol and putting a bullet between his eyes as soon as the confessional words were out of his mouth while he sat there in handcuffs? If not, is the difference the number–and if so, then what is the minimum number of deaths that, in your mind, forfeits one’s right to due process? Or is the difference whether the confession is made inside the U.S. versus outside? In English versus in Arabic? By a citizen versus a non-citizen?

In my view, the due-process guarantee of the 5th amendment is a statement about how we as a nation will treat those we suspect of crimes. To deem it waived by the uttering of confessional words would greatly diminish the value of that statement about how we will treat our accused, and thus about who we are as a people.

(Note that confessing inside a courtroom in response to specific named charges, and thus waiving a trial, is not an abrogation of due process but is in itself due process. Admission of guilt or involvement in a crime in some other less formal setting should not, in my opinion, be deemed to have the same effect.)

You’re right, Rakewell. What I wrote was more built on a foundation of emotion than solid logical ground.

However, if forced to support my position, it would go a little like this: Bin Laden’s repeated confessions, admissions, and encouragement of others to complete to further his cause is the equivalent of confessing in court and waiving right to trial and appeal.

However, that’s pretty flimsy on my part. Put more simply, I guess I just don’t care.

It’s odd, huh? I oppose the death penalty. I oppose what I infer to be a lack of due process for Gitmo detainees. I oppose American’s corporate warfare. But, I have zero problem with the summary execution of Osama bin Laden.

No, it makes no sense. No, I can’t support it on any logical basis. I can’t think of another person on earth about whom I would feel this way. But there it is.

9. Random101 says:

I am very glad that the current US administration decided on a Navy SEAL raid instead of bombing on the Bin Laden estate. For at least a few minutes, it was Bin Laden’s turn to know his looming fate like the people on the upper floors of the two towers.

I hope the US government never releases the photos or any other addition information on the subject. The message to want-a-be terrorist leaders should be “We will find you, kill you, and forget about you”.