Promises

1. StB says:

Once again you prove how good of a father you are.

If anyone ever asked why a parent becomes a parent, it is moments like that where words cannot describe the feeling. Sure you can put those words down on paper, but it will always lack the intensity of the pride that you feel.

Congrats to D!

3. Joanie says:

You more than make up for your absences by the simple fact that you give your all when you’re with your family.

And by the way, that skateboarder of yours is gonna give you a lot more gray hair!

4. Terrence says:

Wow.

That was a great look at the other side. As one of those [1] still-single guys, the WSOP is such a great time of year for me. For the single and unattached it represents the time of year where our solitary existence is traded for actual social interaction and camaraderie. It’s all friends and all good times for us.

But yours is the other side, the side of the family man. And it’s one I even see in my own house, with three married guys (one of whom has kids). But no one has ever quite crystalized the lamentation of the family man the way you have here. (I guess by now it should be no surprise that when it comes to conveying stories of the human condition in a poker context, no one beats Brad Willis.)

On the gripping hand, our group gets 6 weeks out of the year to spend time with those whom we would choose to spend time with. Yours gets the other 46. So, the occasional missed bike ride notwithstanding, your deal isn’t so bad. 🙂

[1] this is the part where I used to be able to add “young”

5. Lori (IG) says:

Omg I have tears in my eyes. I think you surprising him at the airport was more priceless then you being there when he learned to ride the bike.

Life is full of sacrifices. He wouldnt be learning to ride the bike if you didnt have money to afford one. And it just may be that Grandpa was meant to teach him to ride the bike without a fall.

6. PirateLawyer says:

Once again Brad proves how good of a writer he is.

I can only hope I have similar success when I teach my nephew how to skate in a couple of years.

7. Astin says:

You should put all the “I miss my family” posts into a compilation and send it to Caesars and Pokerstars, with a note saying “please move every event to the nearest convention center to my house.”

I’m sure they’ll do it.

8. Ugarles says:

As I try to teach my kid how to use the toilet without peeing all over the walls or to use a scooter without falling over it is good to read about the future lessons I will have to teach and to appreciate the good fortune I have to be teaching them.

9. RichD says:

Wow Brad.

I’ve been in your shoes but could never have articulated it as well. I am now looking at the other end of the story as mine all start leaving the nest for college. Thanks so much for the cathartic read.

10. Uncle Ted says:

“When he was ready, I was in a $32-a-night hotel room watching the slow-draining sink hold gray whiskers too long to make it down the sulphurous pipes.”

Miss you, buddy.

11. Tammie says:

And oh yes, don’t forget the dirt bike. 😉 He just mentioned that to us today at lunch.

12. Mike D says:

Hope I can be as good of a Daddy as you are. Let me know when he gets that skateboard and I’ll teach him how to land and roll.

Mike

13. Michele says:

That was beautiful. I never make it to final nine and few understand why.