13.1 miles for Dad

1. Ruth says:

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

2. Susan says:

As always, thanks for sharing.

3. Kris says:

You’re amazing, and it’s obvious your dad deserves much of the credit. Keep running, keep writing. You have more fans than you know rooting for your success. Thank you for sharing.

4. Aimee Spencer says:

You are a champion that any Dad would be proud to call son. And, a runner who any of us would be fortunate to share miles with. I too was there that night. 26.2-ing through the neglegent disorganization. Great post. Thanks for sharing & God bless your family.

Twitter: @AimeeSpencee

5. Aimee Spencer says:

Typo — dang it. Twitter: @AimeeSpencer

Oddly enough, writing this made me go back and look to see how I did against the field.

Overall: 8,921 out of 33,281
    Age group: 1,006 out of 2,263
    Men: 5,014 out of 12,147

I’ll take it.

7. Junior says:

deeply touched man you are some kind of writer I know Unc,le John qwas proud of you and i know i am very proud also

8. Uncle Ted says:

I love you.

9. Sally McRae says:

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing so transparently…a pain familiar to many- a sting all too frequent among the masses. May you be comforted in the strength you will undoubtedly continue to gain as a result of choosing to continue the forward motion…Have you not fulfilled the wish of every parent? ” Never Give Up” You did it well….surely he was proud of you…

Peace, comfort and hope to you- thanks for sharing….

10. Brad says:

Wow! What an amazing tribute to your Dad. I’m sure he would’ve been really proud. I lost my Mom two weeks before my first Comrades back in 2010 and know how it feels to mourn and celebrate their lives while trying to achieve something you have worked so hard to achieve. Good luck for your upcoming races!

11. Very moving. I still find it difficult to find words to somehow express where I am now. The pain is still raw.

Your story was very touching and describes how I feel pretty well.

I have worried about you all and how this has totally changed your lives. I want you all to know I think of each and everyone of you just about every moment of every day.

I love you and I know your dad was and is so proud of you, Jeff, and your families.

Peace to you my nephew.

Association testing can reveal much. This though was unexpected.
    Black : White
    Up : Down
    OTIS : LIME GREEN???

I prefer to think of it as chartreuse. Also, it’s my favorite overshirt, and great for not getting hit by cars when running at night.

14. The Wife says:

I held it together until the end, and then succumbed to the tears. You ALWAYS make me cry! Great read, my friend. Great race. Great perspective.

15. Jen says:

I lost my father to heart disease when I was 8 years old. I’ve always wondered if I made him proud. Your remembrance here prompted me to do some reflection, and I believe I have in some ways. Thank you for this. I’m going to call my mom this weekend and share some thoughts about my dad, as it’s been far too long since I’ve done that. xo

16. yestbay says:

Wonderful post, sir. Best wishes in your future races, and in all you do.

17. Jen says:

Brad, you are an artist with words… and I’m so thankful I took the time to read your race experience. Thank you for sharing this difficult time with us. I’m honored. Congrats once again on making it through such a difficult and meaningful run.

In your honor, I will push through my “go, no-go” thoughts today and go for out for a run.

18. Bob Kallberg says:

Well done.

19. shane says:

Perfect. You inspire me.

Which races are you doing? We definitely have to run the same race one day.

Shane, I’m planning on running a trail run/6k/sprint in a couple of weeks, a 4-mile obstacle run locally in April, a half marathon in late October, and the Vegas half again. There will be more, but those are the ones I’m planning to do for sure.

21. Evie says:

Wow, as always, enjoy reading your blogs……congrats on the race and so sorry about your dad…..Aunt Evie

1. September 3, 2012

[…] know this feeling. When I was in the final stretch of the Las Vegas half marathon last year, I thought I was going to collapse just short of the finish line. I’ve spent most of my life […]

2. October 15, 2012

[…] Vegas with a whole new idea in mind. And as we stood around the bar at the Aria in Las Vegas after the half marathon we ran down the Strip, a few of us stood looking at each other—sober, elated, and pumped up on so many endorphins […]