How to make a Moscow Mule

1. Ron (schmuckbox) says:

Shall I bring you some homemade gingerbeer?

Ron, that would be one heckuva gift. Well make some Mastodon Mules with it in late October.

3. The Rooster only uses Goya Ginger Beer for his mules. It gives it a bit more kick and spice. You know ladies, I’m Latin. Just saying. Bye.

4. BigMike says:

Excellent write up as usual. I especially liked the terror element you introduced when you mentioned mint and simple syrup. I have used Fentimans and Barritts Sugar Free (I must some times do the needful to minimize the corporeal damage)Ginger Beer. For years I used Ginger ale and did not find any particular kick in the drink. I finally encountered Real Ginger Beer and I got; I REALLY got it! Still have not found it served in a copper cups anywhere in this area or NYC, perhaps I will make a purchase in that direction. I will keep an eye out for your recommended Ginger Beer as well. As to cubed versus crushed ice, it depends on the occasion. I find crushed ice gives me the most delight. Cubed on more formal occasions is acceptable. As to the addition of fluid, I do not sip my mule so there is often much ice left over. I do understand the concern though.

5. Susan says:

I had my first Moscow Mule some time in 2010 at a place called Stueben’s here in Denver. It became my most favorite cocktail. I prefer to make them at home since the bars like to charge upwards of $7 for one and some bars make you hand over your ID so that you won’t walk out the door with that copper mug. If you haven’t tried a Dark and Stormy (ginger beer, dark rum, and lime juice) it is a nice change once in awhile.

Hope to be able to share a Mule with you and the wife some time in the future!

Either Otis managed to escape the lockup or that mean old Brad left the key within reach of the broom handle. Welcome back, Otis.

7. Astin says:

This weekend I learned of the Mamie Taylor, or the mother of the Mule. Created at the turn of the century (predating the Mule by nearly 50 years) and named after the famous singer, it is precisely the Mule recipe… except with scotch instead of vodka.

Interesting piece of trivia – vodka was first marketed as “white whisky”, so the Mule is an easy jump from scotch whisky to white whisky.

It is also tasty, although I’d suggest it’s more of an autumn drink, what with the scotch in place of the vodka. Don’t worry, I used Johnnie Walker Black, I wouldn’t dare pour one of my good single malts in anything other than a proper whisky glass.

Tonight I plan on assembling ginger, sugar, water, and lime into a ginger syrup to be added at whim to carbonated water so I can control ginger strength to my liking and mood. I may explore fermentation down the road, but that will likely be unnecessary.

And FWIW, I started with the Fentimans, and found it lacking. Fever Tree is the clear winner, although I may try the Ginger People if my home recipe fails to excite.

8. chris says:

Warren Haynes would be proud…

9. Grange95 says:

A number of items:

I) I’m proud that, out of the ginger beer variety pack, you correctly identified Fever Tree as the ne plus ultra of ginger beers. The Mule is strong in you.

B) Crushed ice? Mene mule tekel upharsin. However, you are a true free-spirit, a citrus artiste. You have mastered the Platonic (and apparently the Erotic!) Mule, so perhaps I’m being overly dogmatic.

3) No, actually I want you damn kids off my lawn and take your crushed ice and Boone’s Farm with you!

Δ) OK, perhaps the crushed ice is acceptable. After all, the young grasshopper must eventually leave the nest and go West in search of cocktails, dreams, and DJ Metaphor.

e) I shall look forward to sampling a Mastodon Mule, the official name for the crushed ice Mule.

iv) As always, your writing is very refreshing.

10. Mattazuma says:

Sitting here reading this while drinking a mule made with inferior ginger beer. Using the Grange95 recipe makes it at least a passible drink.

So, I did a quick search and low and behold, you can get cases of Fever Tree ginger beer on Amazon with Prime shipping! http://amzn.to/QpIWAx My first case will arrive on Thursday.

11. Dee Dee says:

I wish you would submit this piece to the New Yorker. I’m a long time subscriber and this fits so well with what they do.

Thanks, Dee Dee. That’s flattering. Maybe some day I’ll make the bigs. Appreciate you reading. –Brad

13. AzOther1 says:

I’m late to the party, but I have to comment on this. Crushed ice is used to rapidly cool warm or room temperature drinks. Cubed ice is used to keep cold drinks cold. Simple science.

Thanks for introducing me to the Mule!

14. Grange95 says:

Ummm, just came to my attention there was a typo in my recipe. Mugs should be 16 oz. Well, the mugs can be whatever size you want, but smaller mugs make for Mules with a bigger kick.