The crying Tough Mudder and the wicked art of Someday

Many times on my runs I just imagine the finish with my kids/friends/family there. You nailed exactly why that fifty bucks to switch might be the best money I ever spent. I didn’t know what I was getting into at the time, I just knew that I needed to break the work-school-sleep routine and make someday, today.

I think getting good exercise is a plus that rewards. I think carrying that to area that are prone to injury aren’t well thought out. When people make them bucket listable, rational drops from the equation.

Dings like Peaker glories in come back to haunt with age. I am 72. Don’t argue with me sonny. I am the one that has a back that rules my life.

In the back of your mind you realize this when you equate it to the M-weekend. OK, fun escape but not the way to live.

If you can do a 5K, you are in shape and it is doubtful you done permanent damage in the process. Between that and marathons/challenge-runs lie dragons.

You have a background that should know better. How many old farmers did you see in their twilight? You push beyond the norm –and most farmers back then had to. — and it was a sad looking main street on Saturday nites.

There is a someday to think about, lad. (Feel good being the snot nose?)

3. BadBlood says:

Ken,

Congratulations on being 72! By all means, extrapolate your physical fitness experiences to everyone else. Thanks for the comment, you have saved me from myself. I was going to do this marathon-thingie, but I don’t want to end up like an old farmer in their twilight.

What was I thinking?

PS: You are so utterly and completely wrong. I mean staggeringly wrong. It’s as if someone challenged you to be really, really, really wrong and you kicked that challenge’s ass all the way back to 1958.

4. CJ says:

Well… perhaps Ken is exaggerating somewhat… but…

There is some evidence that marathon running can have health risks. Many of those health risks are attributed to poor training, poor conditioning or poor planning during the race (either not enough water or too much, with too much water being the leading cause of death in marathons, although the instances are still rare).

There are also long-term risks to the heart for heavy marathon runners. There’s been studies that have shown regular marathon runners could develop enlarged hearts or scarring of the heart. It makes sense since a physical activity like that puts stress on the heart. Here is one such study: http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(12)00473-9/abstract

My wife, who was a certified trainer for many years, doesn’t think I should get into distance running because of my particular circumstances. I’d be starting it later than I should probably start it… I already have some foot, knee and back issues given to my freakish height… etc.

That doesn’t mean I shouldn’t find ways to stay in shape, which I’m not doing. And some running could obviously be a part of that.

5. Astin says:

Inspiring. Not that I’m about to run farther than the distance from the top of the stairs to the subway as I hear it pulling in, but inspiring nonetheless.

And there are worse songs for you to have stuck in my head than CCR’s “Someday Never Comes”.

6. CJ says:

Oh… and I don’t think all of you crazy bastards have crossed into the realm of too much distance running that you’re putting your heart at risk.

And the health risks attributed to the mudder (and similar events) are probably just pulled muscles, twisted ankes, shoulder injuries and the like, hardly the kind of things to be overly worried about!

7. BadBlood says:

CJ – the health risks you state are completely avoidable with proper use of intellect. Education about health is just as important as actually performing the exercise itself. Nobody’s suggesting doing things haphazardly; a measured, careful approach to training is the name of the game. That’s why we all share advice, experiences, etc, to help each other avoid the pitfalls and dangers of pushing your body beyond the couch to fridge trail.

8. HeavyCritters says:

The beauty of this post (and the words that truly hit home for me) comes after the “***”.

Well done again, Otis.

E

9. You’re all still crazy.

I love every damn one of you.

But you’re still nuts. 🙂

Live it, bro. Live it.

10. CJ says:

BadBlood: Absolutely agree! For all of my friends who are doing it, the biggest risk I see if some kind of broken bone from those crazy mudder things.

For the casual distance runner, the health benefits of the regular exercise far outweigh the almost non-existent risk.

If someone became a heavy endurance runner (super marathons, marathons once a month, etc) that’s when I’d be a little worried.

11. Julius_Goat says:

Beautiful stuff. The lie of someday is something I’ve come to grips with. Not the easiest of lessons.

Regarding running: The farmer and the cowboy should be friends.

12. Candace says:

While I have personally been more inspired to get into better shape recently, the real food for thought here is about “someday,” and whatever that means for you.
    I, too, have been guilty of spending the last couple of years thinking about all the things I want to do or need to do and continuously take “someday” for granted.
    The real danger in “somday” is that someday it will be too late.
    Thanks, Brad. Great post.

13. Aerin Brownlee says:

I just want to know if you shot hoops with your poor kid. Cause he is only getting older.

Quite timely. My youngest requested I play this for him on guitar last night.

15. PokerLawyer says:

Beautiful post, Brad. Wish I could join you all for M-weekend. Hope you’ll raise one for me. A foot, that is. =)

1. October 31, 2012

[…] from that CrAAker’s guy.   I have read about Peaker’s bouts with Ben-Gay and tape.  Otis has picked running for his mid-life crisis.  Even former motor mouth, Dr. Chako — who should knows better, is […]