Ode to Black Dog

1. Gracie says:

For some reason I thought this was going to have a sad ending. So glad Black Dog worked out. (My white bear and brown bear send you happy woofs of congratulations.)

2. Special k says:

Dr. K, Fenway, Comiskey, and I understand.

3. Susan says:

Welcome to your new family, Black Dog! You picked a great one 🙂

4. Maryellen says:

Was there really any question? Black dog had you from the first lick. You don’t post pictures like that of a dog you’re not going to keep. Yes, your yin and yang dogs are smarter than you.

5. Brian says:

Now this is how you weave a story. I was like Gracie, thought it was going to have a sad ending. I hope you have many years of joy with the pups!

6. Jennifer McKelvey says:

The first sentence made my heart sink! Been following your dog adventures through Facebook & was crossing my fingers it worked out! So glad to hear black dog has marked his spot in the Willis Family.

It’s kind of like when you say you want another child. People say, “Are you crazy”, then finally understand when they see you with that child that they saw as maybe another burden in your life as opposed to the joy they’re sure to bring.

Here’s to many sloppy kisses, afternoons of fetch, and unconditional love.

7. Lori Ann Christina aka IG says:

Congratulations and thank you for adopting a rescue. Since Black Friday I’ve been spending my time away from the felt volunteering in animal rescue. And if you see my facebook posts you probably know that. Did you know that Black dogs and cats are most likely to be put down in shelters and are often overlooked?

I have a pure bred Maine Coon (the only cat I ever obtained from a breeder after my first Maine Coon who I rescued as a senior passed away) and a rescue kitty. Cant say i would never pass on a purebred Maine Coon again but any new acquistions will be rescues/shelter cats and dogs.

Your older dog may now teach the younger one a thing or two. That’s how things work out in a pack. One thing I have learned about animals, they are like people. Some animals prefer their own company vs the two legged kind. Others are people oriented. Some prefer one family member over another. Best to not expect much from them and to enjoy them for what and who they are.

8. AgSweep says:

Mick (my rescue dog) who’s laying at my feet, and I, am glad to hear Black Dog has found a wonderful new home. Mick, who is part Chesapeake Bay retriever and Chocolate Lab says that you should buy stock in Penn, the tennis ball maker but for inside the house he likes racquetballs.

9. April Henry says:

Now I get it! I couldn’t figure out what was going on. Maybe I missed a post somewhere along the way. I can tell that Black dog makes you all very happy and fits in perfectly. I completely understand! Best wishes for a home filled with craziness, wild times, and lots of love and licks!

Lab #1 from a breeder. To say he loved the water is a huge understatement. This one is #4 and is limping around toward the tale end of life. She’s Clancy IV and she a great friend that will be missed all too soon. She too was a rescue dog.

Young Labs are chewers of the first order. My first was the worst. They are also huge and perminent children with a zest for life that can keep you going.

It is a great breed and they are the penultimate friend. They aren’t an apartment dog. They need space and exercise. And, like that first picture shows, they can look into your soul.

11. Elizabeth says:

I totally understand. Congratulations on your new family member!

12. Gracie cried while reading this. LOL!

13. Grange95 says:

I don’t think breeder v. rescue, or one v. two dogs, or purebred v. mutt matters. Each dog had its own personality, much like kids. All you can do is try to give them a loving environment where they are happy. And Casa del Willis is a pretty swanky resort for both White Dog & Black Dog.

Best wishes for a happy extended family!

14. Asian Bobby says:

We’re on Brown Dog #2. Shortly after our 1st Choc Lab was hit by a car, my wife was the one who surprisingly wanted to get another right away. Both were adopted, although from Humane Societies. I know where they’re coming from, but all of the Rescue Group paperwork/screening was a huge turn-off. Our other dog is a Dachshund that we got from a breeder. He can often be found vigorously humping Cocoa. She endures it with commendable tolerance (sound familiar to anyone?) while giving me a look that says, “you’ve got to be kidding me…”

15. Lucie says:

I have a fawn terrier mix who jumped into my brother’s truck just before a hurricane. He already had two dogs – his Cur and his wife’s Jack Russell. I had an older chihuahua. Rode out the hurricane with the “Little Girl Dog” with her head on my lap (brother didn’t want to name her for fear of becoming attached). Long story short, she’s now 11, Little Girl is her name, and she was Scooter’s best friend. Now she just tolerates Kristoff (rhymes with pissed off, but we just call him Kris), our little chihuahua-ish terrier (with possible other DNA in the mix, who knows or cares?) for whom we paid a whole 40 bucks. Life is good with two doggies in the mix.