The stillness of an 8-year-old’s chest

1. Julius Goat says:

Thank you.

2. Chad says:

This is beautiful. Thanks Brad.

3. Eleanor says:

Beautifully written.

4. Jo says:

Beautiful, my Son! From the time YOU were 8 years old your writings have amazed me and warmed my heart. This post is among the top. You have a way of putting all of our feelings into word. I have no doubt, your son will find that same coin in his drawer as an adult, remember the big day he hit his first home run. He’ll remember not only what a cool Dad you were his whole life, but he’ll remember the beautiful heart you have AND the way you have of telling the world everything the rest of us Wish we had the ability to say.

5. John says:

Brad- I really enjoy reading your posts, but this one really hits home. I, like you, have taken what happened at Boston harder than any other hateful crime, not that the others don’t hit hard, but being a runner that had friends at this event, it hit a little closer to home than others. I have always tried to make everyone happy, and many times it gets me in trouble, but my goal is for everyone to have fun, laugh and enjoy life. It is hard for me to understand how people can have so much hate in their heart, and to value human life so little. As a Christian, I have a difficult time understanding why such a young child is taken from this world with their whole life ahead of them…especially when it appears that this child was a positive member of society with so much to give. I have heard the phrase “everything happens for a reason” many time and have use the phrase myself, but I am struggling with how this bombing could fit that phrase. I have said many prayers over the past few days and asked God why. I guess that is all we can do at this point. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts above. You have a gift with words and I look forward to reading more from you in the future. Hope your family is great and hope to see you at an event in the near future. Take care-John

6. Tammie says:

Wow – so powerful Brad. I cannot express in words how I agreed with everything you wrote. I said “that’s right” so many times as I read it. My heart goes out to everyone; the runners, the bystanders, but mostly for Martin’s family than anyone. That cute loveable little boy that at the ripe age of 8 knew it’s not right to hurt others. Yet he was a victim of just that. Just despicable. He was just there enjoying the day with his family and waiting for his dad to get to the finish so he could cheer him on – he just didn’t deserve that. He did nothing wrong, probably never hurt anyone or anything in his life. Senseless.

1. July 23, 2013