So many kids…

Brad Willis · Published · Updated

1. I’m glad you have to.

2. BadBlood says:

There’s a fine line between humility and self-deprecation. Most of us would say that you err on the side of humility almost criminally. I’ve seen you stutter and mumble and answer the question “what do you do?” with way too much hesitation. Your friends all know that you’re a writer, it’s kind of time for you to allow yourself to not only admit it, but to do so with confidence.

3. BadBlood said it perfectly.

4. Grange95 says:

I think I can relate in a somewhat tangential way to the reluctance to show your true self to others, to elide that which makes us uncomfortable because we think it might make others uncomfortable.

Still, I have only known you as a writer, and I always call you a writer when I mention you to my friends. You have a gift with language. It’s a shame if you feel like that gift is something to be kept out of polite conversation.

5. Scroobius Rick says:

That line has always caught me, too. I hope it hasn’t caused you too much indigestion. Writing and scribbling is a cathartic act as much as anything else. I’m always scribbling things down on paper or iPhone but don’t publish anywhere because I haven’t got a blog (anymore). There are many reasons you should write and post here; people enjoy reading it, you need to write it for all those listed above and more, to stop the ‘writing’ of the day job sending you to Cloud Cuckoo Land, and not least of all because it will be great for your kids to have something to show their kids and say, ‘See, I told you. Grandpa Willis WAS a crazy ol’ bastard.’

As for the statement, how about, ‘I’m a writer who pays the bills by marketing poker.’? I’m stumbling over how to say it these days. I’ve largely settled with ‘poker journalist’ and even though that doesn’t fit it’s become my go-to. You’re a great writer – entertaining and thought-provoking – so keep writing. You love writing more than you love being a writer. Although the Duke of Wellington was referencing blackmail I’d still take his advice, “Publish and be damned.”

6. JT88Keys says:

I hate for this to sound like I’m some great literary critic, but I will say one thing about your blog/website. No matter how long you go between postings I still check it every single day hoping you’ve decided to grace us with another of your stories. Even introspective ones like this are so well crafted that I get to vividly experience your turmoil through the words you committed to virtual paper.

Very few blogs have moved me to tears over the years with a story. Yours has multiple times. Please continue to share your gift. I’ll keep checking in every day no matter how long it takes you to feel like you must post.

7. G-Rob says:

Writers write.

8. Boomer says:

As someone who is thinking more and more that his gifts lie in the world of writing I can say to you that I appreciated the depth of this article. To me it doesn’t matter that you felt the “need” to write this – to me all that matters is that you did. I check the website almost daily looking for updates because I like the subject matter. (I’m a father of 2 boys, 7 and 4) Please keep at it. You are indeed a writer and your words do reach people and inspire them – even when you think they might not.

9. JuliusGoat says:

Nice. A new generation arrives. Your kid’s story topic is killer.

Writers write. Good writers write well.

You write really well. So what does that make you? (Hint: See previous paragraph.)

Keep it coming, Willis.

10. Astin says:

5 days of RSS backlog and I saved this post for last.

Glad I did.

11. JR (aka Sparky) says:

So glad I decided to check out what you’ve been writing lately. This piece is timely for many right now. Nicely done, sir.

This piece may be interesting to read: http://tessvigeland.com/speaking/
    “The bottom line: We’re afraid of failing to live up to the expectations of others, but we’re also afraid of failing to live up to our own expectations. That’s quite a trap. How does one escape it?”

Write on.

12. Jim says:

Always worth reading Otis – keep going. You had me worried.

1. August 21, 2013