Unmoved

1. G-Rob says:

Cheap bastard

2. Astin says:

While I don’t have a family to pay for, I usually keep my individual movie cost to under $10.

CAA (Canadian version of AAA) has a movie ticket deal for members. Works out to around $8 for a ticket, but you have to buy the passes at a CAA office ahead of time. I buy packs of 15 and they’re usually good for a couple years.

I rarely buy concessions. Sometimes a bottle of water ($3+ ?? nuts), and if I’m really craving it, some candy. The popcorn is too greasy and salty.

Sometimes I’ll sneak in snacks from outside, but my favourite is the AMC down the road from me. It’s in a new megaplex mall-thing, and they ALLOW you to bring in outside food. So a quick trip to the gelateria downstairs is usually in order for a movie. In fact, I’ll be doing that tonight.

For me, the big screen and big sound is enough to draw me in. But even then, I only go see movies that are worth it. F/X heavy films need a big screen and 17 speakers. Comedies are always better with a packed house. And the ones where a great cinematographer is involved usually warrant that screen as well. The snacks and concessions are a waste of money as far as I’m concerned.

3. Matt Showell says:

Hotel for Dogs is the greatest movie ever made.

4. AgSweep says:

Duh, just sent an e-mail to this effect. I too have netflix. I got a Roku, http://www.roku.com around xmas ($99). It takes all of your netflix instant viewing options to your TV through your wireless network (you can hard wire it too). (You can also do this a couple of other ways that are listed on the netflix site). Roku has now added the Amazon stuff so you can insta buy or rent. (Without the Netflix subscription) If you do not have a set up like this you should. I tried to watch a movie last night on TV but was so frustrated by the all the commericals that I stopped. I really liked Netflix before but am now addicted. Pretty much the only thing we watch on TV now is sports and the occasional CSI.

5. AgSweep says:

Our local Regal Theatre has a free members club. If you have a card you get free popcorn on Tuesdays. Plus your points accumulate so that one time you get free popcorn, then another free pop and then another free candy and finally a free ticket. This along with going to matinees keeps the price down.

6. marty says:

If you have an x-box it will do the same thing as g-rob’s roku.

7. Kym says:

We have a 2nd run dollar movie theatre in town. The floor is sticky and a lot of seats worse for wear, but it adequately feeds the need for a movie going event when the pocket has more lint than loose change in it.

At the high end we have the Warren – complete with food, alcohol & heated seats in the balcony screens – for a premium (food & alcohol extra). A matinee can set a person back $14 – $25.

I’d be curious to know what folks think about the morality or immorality of sneaking in your own popcorn & goodies. Back in the 80s I knew folks (not mentioning names) who’d pack a veritable picnic (wine, cheese, gourmet popcorn) and sneak it past the movie police. Anyone do that these days?

8. Jim The Knife says:

I’ve had Netflix for 5 years plus now and yet I go to the movies about twice a month, depending on what’s out there.
    I buy the “Kids Pack” or “Kids Special”- you get a small soft drink, a small amount of popcorn, and some gummy bears
    which I throw away. It’s enough to keep you busy until the movie starts and it’s only $4.50 or so.

PS: Taking your own goodies into the theatre is not against the law…..AND….. there are no signs prohibiting
    you from doing that. So, go for it!

I love the dollar theater around here. Granted the popcorn/candy gouge is still in play, but you’re getting to see a relatively new movie for the same price as a Redbox/Netflix rental and get the “event” of watching the movie somewhere other then the couch.