Dude, I’m getting a Mac

1. Michael says:

Congrats! I love my Mac (PowerBook circa 2003) and I just bought a second one (shiny new iMac) this weekend in fact.

Here are my recommendations:
    Trillian – use Adium (http://adium.im/)
    Chrome – there is a Chrome beta, but I haven’t tried it. I use Firefox, many others like Safari
    Windows Mail – I’ve been using OS X Mail for many years and I’m happy with it. Not sure if it supports gmail though.
    TweetDeck – runs on Mac
    iTunes – native Mac app
    Netflix streaming – works great on all recent Macs
    Audacity – there is a Mac version, not too familiar with it.
    Office – I’ve been happy with OpenOffice but I only do minimal things with Office docs from home. Try it out to save you from paid Office upgrades later.

2. Brian says:

Let’s see –
    I don’t use all of these, but I can offer some advice/thoughts:

Trillian – I use a program called Adium to aggregate my IM accounts. It’s free and works really well.

Mail.app that comes with OSX works pretty well for aggregating several different email accounts. I use it to check my Google and Yahoo email, and I understand that it works with Outlook, but I’m not 100% sure about that.

I use TweetDeck for the Mac; haven’t had any problems with it.

ITunes is mac native; if you want to move your music library, it takes a little bit of work, but it isn’t too difficult. Let me know if you have questions about it. I’ll be happy to help.

Netflix streaming now works on Mac – I just watched the pilot episode of 30 Rock the other day.

You shouldn’t need CCleaner for the Mac.

I haven’t used Chrome on the mac, so I’m not sure about it. Firefox works well enough.

You can also look into VMWare or Parallels for the Windows-only software.

If you have other questions or want more info, feel free to let me know.

3. Absinthe says:

I use Adium for instant messenger protocols and stick with Safari mostly out of habit (and I like the way it presents RSS). Nobody complains about Firefox. The stock Mail program that’ll come with your Mac should do you fine.

4. BG says:

Get Quicksilver, which is an excellent indexer/launcher, and tie it to a keyboard shortcut such as CMD+Space. Then, use Automator (already on your laptop) to batch up some standard programs into bundles you’ll use. For example, I have a bundle I call “Launch Suite,” which launches Adium + Firefox + Tweetdeck + Gmail + GVoice all at the same time. I hit CMD+Space, then type LAU and Quicksilver pulls it right up. Nifty.

Oh, and “Fluid” helps you create site-specific apps that run outside your browser. This is what I mean when I say I launch Gmail+GVoice and a browser. Add “Growl” for notifications to those site-specific apps to get a new mail notification too.

5. I’ll third the call for Adium – it’s what I’ve used for couple years now. I think Audacity started life on Mac, but I could be wrong. Either way, it Special K and I have each edited out podcast on differing versions of Audacity and had no problems sharing the files across platforms.

Other programs I use every.single.day include Evernote for lists, CaptureMe for screen caps and DropBox for free cloud storage.

6. Brian says:

I second the call for Quicksilver. I use it all the time.

7. Absinthe says:

I’m going to have to get Quicksilver and batch together all my poker-related programs. I’ll call the batchfile “Asspucker”.

8. Astin says:

Adium ftw.

I use Firefox myself, as Chrome didn’t have mouse gestures or plug-ins out of the gate, so it lost me immediately.

I’ve heard good things about OSX Mail. There’s also Thunderbird, but it lacks some useful Outlook features.

I use Tweetie on the Mac.

Adobe Elements? Most Adobe products run better on Macs than PC’s. Not sure about Corel. There’s also The Gimp for free, but it’s a pain in the ass usability-wise.

I use OpenOffice, but hardly do anything on my Macbook that would test anything on it.

Well, I guess you letting your choice out had results.

Today Apple surpassed Microsoft in market capitalization, a metric of the perceived worth of a company. At around 2:30 pm EST, the total number of Apple shares were worth $227 billion, whereas Microsoft’s were worth $226 billion.