Sunrise

1. Jennifer McKelvey says:

Beautiful blog, Brad. It’s easy to get caught up in the day-to-day worries and obligations of life that we forget to stop and realize what we do have. Every day, we read about or are personally touched by examples of how life is not guaranteed, at any age. I can relate to your wife, as I am a worry wart myself.

Thanks for the reminder to enjoy today with my loved ones. My philosophy is that my kids may drive me insane on their bad days, but there are so many parents who would give anything for that to be the only problem with their kids. I’ve worked with terminally ill children and anytime I feel overwhelmed, I stop and thank God that my kids are just in a mood and not hooked up to a chemo machine or fighting for their lives. That reminder gives me the ability to hug their necks in their worst moments and tell them that I love them.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go fix my eye makeup since your blog had me squalling. 🙂

2. Easycure says:

Most people can relate to this, kids or not.

I’m one of “those guys”. I tell my wife I love her dozens of times a day, call my mom twice a week to tell her, and when I tell my cats I love them, my voice gets very high and squeaky.

The most important thing is is not in just saying it; it’s how you say it. Over the last couple of years I have developed a relationship with my maker, and my capacity to love and capacity to not worry has advanced immensely. It’s no accident…I have help from above.

Keep writing, my friend. It is your gift that comes from the same place. It’s also no accident.

3. Very nicely done, Otis.

Personally, I, The Rooster, love the self-loathing, the glass is half empty and going empty very soon, Otis. Just for the record.

As for Mrs. Otis…just a saint…PERIOD!

It wasn’t until three years ago that my wife finally admitted that it was more than an occasional mood problem after years of me proding her to see a doctor.

We could have given up several times in the past 10 years, and I certainly would not have blamed her, after taking care of me after the head injury for nearly six years and me giving up on what appeared to be a bleak future. But, the past has made our marriage stronger and while we’re not blowing rainbows and portrait-like sunrises out of our asses every day, at least there’s no worrying about raising our kids with two people who don’t care about each other any longer.

Accepting one and other for who they are is the first step every couple should take. When my wife finally figured out that I enjoy the late nights writing about poker and tend to gamble/drink more than most, she embraced it. Despite being a degenerate at times, she trusted me continue to work hard, pay the bills and still find time to put together a Dora the Explorer puzzle with our daughter or play some soccer with our son, and find time to watch the Twins while entangled in bed after the kids brushed their teeth.

I hope you two continue to take in as many sunrises as possible and enjoy each one before the rush of the day takes place.

Good luck.

5. Steve Wood says:

Another outstanding bit of sharing. Thanks. FWIW I’ll be sharing it with others.

6. Daddy says:

Beautifully written.
    As usual.

7. Bam-Bam says:

I don’t know Rooster, I kinda’ like this half-full glass Otis. He makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside but then again, so does a good Scotch and a trip out to ‘somewhere’ to see good friends.

Here’s to the Sun shining on all four of your faces, for many, MANY more enjoyable years to come!