Charles Wakefield, finally free

1. IG says:

I’ll say the same thing Ive said to P. I love reading all your poker stuff (Yours and Pauly’s and Nicky’s). But you all really show your talents when writing an article/piece such as this.

You have a conscience and integrity and are true to yourself, character traits not everyone in the field of journalism possesses.

We all make mistakes in life. It takes a bigger person to own up to them, make amends rather then to point the finger of blame on someone else.

You need to teach a journalism class. You can start by asking the students what they were doing 25 years ago (if they were even born yet). Ask them about their experiences over the last quarter century. Then tell them about the mundane experience of a 25 year prisoner, wrongfully convicted.

It’s the thought of those lost experiences I can’t get out of my head.

3. Linda Casey says:

You never cease to amaze me. Perhaps that is why I trust you.

4. G-Rob says:

I don’t understand this story. Was he paroled? Was he acquitted? Was he pardoned? Why is he out of jail?

G-Rob, if it wasn’t clear, he was paroled. You might check your local TV’s station’s website for recent news about the case. Oh wait…

6. Pura Vida says:

I hope I can locate a copy of Mr. Gottlieb’s documentary. His tireless advocacy inspires me, as does your post.

Write this book (if you haven’t written it yet), Otis.

7. Derrick Goold says:

What a story, and well-told, Brad. Over in the playpen that is sports journalism we don’t run into stories with much gravity — at least too, too often. But the lesson remains the same. Sometimes things aren’t what they seem and very rarely are people as they seem.

8. Vanessa Wakefield McKinney says:

Brad, Thank you for this beautiful story on my big brother. My family will be eternally greatful to Eric for being there for him and with him through it all. We have waited for what seems like a life time to be able to see him free again. I also thank you for taking the time to read the facts, unlike so many others. We have always known the truth and pray that some day the whole world will too.

9. Andy Ethridge says:

Hi Vanessa, my name is Andy Ethridge and I am somewhat of an amateur historian. I do not know if your brother wishes to maintain his privacy, of which he deserves. If he would be willing to talk could you please email me a good way to get in touch with him? Andyethridge@hotmail.com
    Thanks for your time and if you do not wish to be bothered I completely respect that

10. Donna Hammett says:

Justice will never be served in this case, but an innocent man has returned home. i will never forget this experience.