The big disconnect

1. Randy says:

enjoy it. time away is super valuable. semi-pulling the plug on our fam on the big family road trip next month

2. Mean Gene says:

Ironic that, in order to read about you unplugging and the benefits of same, I had to be online instead of, oh, exercising/reading/living.

Irony sucks.

When you’ve quit your lollygaging…

“South Carolina sure knows how to pick ’em. Alvin Greene is a broke, unemployed guy who is facing a felony obscenity charge. He made no campaign appearances and raised no money, but he is the brand new Democratic Senate nominee from South Carolina. Tom Schaller at FiveThirtyEight.com does a detailed analysis of how a guy like this wins a primary race, and many of the signs point to voting machine fraud. There seem to have been irregularities on all sides. ‘Dr. Mebane performed second-digit Benford’s law tests on the precinct returns from the Senate race. … If votes are added or subtracted from a candidate’s total, possibly due to error or fraud, Mebane’s test will detect a deviation from this distribution. Results… showed that Rawl’s Election Day vote totals depart from the expected distribution at 90% confidence. In other words, the observed vote pattern for Rawl could be expected to occur only about 10% of the time by chance. … An unusual, non-random pattern in the precinct-level results suggests tampering, or at least machine malfunction, perhaps at the highest level. And Mebane is perhaps the leading expert on this very subject. Along with the anomalies between absentee ballot v. election day ballots…, something smells here.’ Techdirt.com points out that South Carolina uses ES&S voting machines, which have had strings of problems before; and they have no audit trail.”

4. Bam-Bam says:

“Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards.”
    ~Aldous Huxley

This remains one of my favourite quotes to this day. It was hovering around #1 until I mentioned it to a buddy. He countered with my new #1.

“Technology… the knack of so arranging the world that we don’t have to experience it.”
    ~Max Frisch

Always remember however that around the middle of the top half of my quote favs, is this little diddy.

Live, Love and most of all, get the absoloute maximum out of both that you can.
    ~Bam-Bam

“Catch me on Twitter and I’ll buy you dinner at Michael Mina”

I’ll take the steak medium-rare with a baked potato. Kidding!

Enjoy the island time!

6. Lee Jones says:

You dominate all aspects of the game, Otis. Our Strawberry outings:

by their very nature, force this on me once or twice a year; the effect is overwhelmingly joyous. Thanks to your example, I’m going to try expanding the concept to a week-long vacation, sometime in the next year. It’s a promise to you, and to me.

Muchas gracias, amigo.

Regards, Lee

P.S. Warning: you may well find the sensation addictive.

7. Eric Stoner says:

Otis –

I hope you find the time away from the Internets a relaxing one. I think of roughing it as a hotel without wi-fi – a huge mistake, especially when I count the number of hours I’m actually connected during my free-time (my job requires some sort of Internet connection at least part of the day).

I’ve cut my connectivity by 50% – by this time next year, I hope to reduce that amount.