Insurance fraud hail storm

1. I’ve been wondering for a while if I was the only person in the two Carolinas who didn’t have hail damage this year. The number of roofing signs in my neighborhood rivals the number of lottery signs in a ghetto gas station, and given my neighborhood, I should know all about ghetto gas stations. Of course, when I called the roofer I got the one honest contractor who said “Yep, you need a new roof. But nope, you don’t have any hail damage.” Then I put my foot through said roof and removed all doubt. But now I have a new roof. And I didn’t have to rip anyone off for it.

2. Oh, and thanks for the plug on my book this weekend. I appreciate it!

Big William didn’t happen to have a fairly attractive female, same age’d companion with him did he? My State Farm adjuster’s name was William, had a Dallas phone number, and was bigger and taller than I.

Looked more like a tall Richard Branson though.

4. MDaly says:

Ahhhhh yes. North Augusta. Home of “The Travelers, or once upon a time ” the Irish Travelers.”

5. Da Goddess says:

Better an honest man who can sleep at night than someone who “got one over” on The Man and is always looking over his shoulder.

You are one in a million, my friend, which is unfortunate. In a nutshell, you have just explained and given the obvious solution to our healthcare crisis. Patients don’t know if there is a hole in their roof any more than they know if there is a hole in their heart. But they go to their cardiologist who asks if they’ve ever had heartburn (since it could be something worse). The kindly doc then guides them over to the fancy CT machine that just happens to be sitting right there in their office. The patient isn’t going to ask if it’s necessary, an expert told them it was. A couple grand later and it’s good news – no heart disease. Multiply that by thousands of similar stories. Every. Single. Day.

Maybe Big William needs to be working in healthcare. And maybe you need to talk with our society and our politicians about being an honest broker of someone elses money.

7. G-Rob says:

William from Texas?

I had the same adjuster.

I’m getting a new roof.

My premiums are not going up.

8. frank says:

It is a shame that such a situation has occured to the author.

However, I am a roofing contractor and have been for 20 years. I dont travel to storms and have a stellar reputation in my community.

Yes, there are no shortage of bad roofers out there.

However, I cannot count the number of times I have met with homeowners after being turned down by their adjuster, while everyone around them was getting a new roof after a storm. In every case, the insurance company adjuster did the inspection alone. We request a re-inspect because I see damage. They come back out and what do you know, they agree and pay for full replacement.

I value my integrity and have never done anything but give an honest appraisal to homeowners and insurance adjusters. If a roof has damage, I suggest a claim be filed. If it doesnt, I tell them its fine and move on my way.

9. al says:

I too, like Frank, am a roofer, and will add that I have seen Ins. adjusters approve roofs that I new had no hail damage and turn down ones I new did have damage….so go figure.

It is ultimately up to them, the ones who write the checks, to decide to pay for it or not.

10. jon says:

I am in the storm damage restoration business myself….though my organization has local offices and we are a full service contractor…not just roofers. The fact is that at least in my state you only have about six months to file a claim in the event of damage but hail damage can take YEARS to truly take its toll on your roof. Just remember that believe it or not but insurance companies are not in the business of paying out on claims…they are much more interested in collecting premiums as a whole…ultimately my brethren are at their mercy anyhow just like the homeowner as they hold the purse strings and in the end the time it takes to assist a homeowner in filing a claim and then working with the adjusters is just flat out too cumbersome to waste your own or the homeowners time with a knowingly false claim.

11. MarieK says:

I had the same crap from Allstar exteriors in my neighborhood. I live in hope mills north carolina. My insurance said they created damage to try and push the roof through claims. That’s insurance fraud!!!!!

12. Big Rob says:

The American people who fall for and/or agree with these scams are just as guilty. Yes, some homes need roofs after a hail storm, Not as many as these scam artists out of Georgia claim they do. I had one from Georgia stop by, I checked them out on the BBB yep, a BIG FAT (F) rating. Just crooks, my guy was big and fat guy named Kurt with his wife that honestly looked just like chuckys bride. Scarry. I told them. Get lost. Hey folks, Don’t complain about your insurance rates. Do something about it…!!!