On getting naked

Brad Willis ·

1. G-Rob says:

Right.

2. BadBlood says:

As your friend, my only wish for you on your birthday is that you feel how I felt when I crossed the finish line last October. I’ll never put words to the feeling as well as you can, so the only real way I can share that with you is for you to experience it yourself.

And you will.

3. Skip says:

I am very proud of you, my friend. (not of the naked part) You make me want to run faster and longer than ever before in my trail race this Sunday, and I’ll be searching for that button to press when I hit Heartbreak Hill at the 3-mile point. I also now have one less friend to secretly worry about from a health standpoint. Run hard, brother!

Damn right.

5. In 27 (now 26 I suppose) days I’ll buy a round for every one of my friends who finishes. I’m proud of all of you guys.

6. Shelly says:

Wish I could run with ya (well, start with ya – I’m slowwww). Can’t get off work that Monday! I’ll be in for the tournament though. I’m running a half the following weekend 🙂 You’re ahead of me in training – my 8 miler is this weekend. GOOD LUCK!

7. Laura K. says:

Go, Brad!

Can’t wait to see all your faces when you cross the finish line.

If you’re still running in 1.5 years from now, this is my promise to join you in a race as I’ll start training after I graduate.

As someone who used to run a five and a half minute mile in high school I’d like to get back to that. Just need to learn to pace myself for a longer race 🙂

9. Lori Aka IG says:

In days past, after many a weeknight winter run Ive stripped off my wet clothes including my jog bra with nary a care to put on dry clothes shielded only by my ajar car door. In the early days of triathlon before tri suits it wasn’t uncommon for folks to get butt ass naked in full view when changing from swim to bike clothes. Someone finally got smart and said lets just bike in our speedos or trunks. I saw a dude come out of Mirror Lake and while stripping off his wet suit he ran naked to his bike at Ironman Lake Placid because he forgot to put his tri suit on under his wet suit!!

Ive been sidelined with severe plantar fascitis for a while. It kills me to read your’s, Dan’s, Colin’s and my Friend Alicia’s tweets and FB posts. She’s doing her first 26.2 tomorrow.

There is nothing more freeing then running trail. One of my favorite memories was running a March race in a NY State Park called Mudders and Grunters spurred on by cowbells. I ran for my age group award which was nothing more then some delicious gourmet cookies. Devoured on the ride home.

Being the betting girl I am I see a marathon in your future in your 40th year. Pick something like Disney and make it a family weekend. C & K Cooley can give you all the dope on it.

10. change100 says:

Beautiful, inspiring, elegantly written. But…uh…why cocoa butter on your nipples?

11. Brad says:

Well, Change…the short answer is “chafing.” The longer answer is, if I don’t do something in advance of a run, it can get ugly. The even longer answer is, I didn’t have any Vaseline or BodyGlide, so I used some of my wife’s Burt’s Bees Belly Butter (left over from pregnancy) to lube up. I smell really nice sometimes.

12. MandyB says:

Sounds like you are past the most difficult hurdle — believing you can do it. Now that you’ve chased those ‘what ifs’ from your mind you’ll have so much more brain space to absorb and remember the day:)

I love the picture of your son in his uniform. We, too, have had our sanity questioned regarding the safety of football. But we have exposed our son (12) to myriad sports and activites with the theory that eventually he will find his thing. And it turns out, it is football. So while I am anxious, he believes. And after seeing him throw 2 TD passes and run for another last week, I’m starting to believe too. My husband is looking for a throwing coach and I’m looking for xanex!!

Have a great run & birthday celebration. I hope you’ll give us a recap.

13. PokerLawyer says:

Good on ya, Brad (and good luck in the upcoming race)!

1. April 20, 2012

[…] I wrote about it in Getting Naked. That mostly tells the story. But’s its more than […]